Businesses are embracing the possibilities offered by a mobile work force and the added efficiencies it creates. Auto-ID applications are becoming increasingly integrated with a company's wireless infrastructure to provide real-time access to data. Not being tied to wired terminals supports productivity and services that were not previously possible. Whether you have a single office or a worldwide network, having the right wireless infrastructure to support your bandwidth usage is critical to getting the most out of any application.
Wireless infrastructure consists of RF switches and access points that can be highly scalable to your enterprise mobility requirements. With business-critical hardware in place you will be able to integrate any function of your business into a wireless environment. From inventory management to credit card processing for line busting, any application can benefit from a robust, secure and reliable wireless network.
Having robust wireless infrastructure in your business opens up new opportunities and benefits:
• Productivity - Work faster and in fewer steps with access anywhere in your business.
• Mobility - Enable new services and processes by not being tied to a wired connection.
• Efficiency - Collect data in real-time for more informed decision making and faster responses to your customers.
• Expandability - Scale your network easily without the costs involved with wired connections.
In any business today you need to empower your employees with the tools and access to information they need to accomplish any daily task. Centralizing data on a computer network has been commonplace in the business world for quite some time now and as things advance the goal has been to mobilize the workforce beyond fixed stations. Providing employees the data and tools they need at the site of action greatly improves their productivity and actually expands upon what they could do previously. This is where wireless infrastructure is critical to getting your workforce to peak performance and efficiency.
Most people have a wireless network in their homes for basic internet access, but these networks would never be able to support the needs of even most small businesses. For enterprise level performance you need a robust and capable network that might resemble what you have at home but is a very different animal. Most business will not just need access to the internet but also to their internal data systems, support for voice over the network and the ability to accommodate a large number of users at the same time.
The core components to any wireless infrastructure are access points (AP) and wireless switches. APs are the devices that will transmit and receive all your wireless information from servers to users. These will be strategically placed throughout your facility to create the best coverage. Wireless switches are the devices that all your APs will connect to for easy management of your wireless network. Knowing how many APs and switches to use and where to place them in your facility is not a task we can just arbitrarily decide. Minimizing interference and maximizing signal strength are the key goals of a site survey.
A site survey is a service where an RF technician takes a wireless survey of your facility to determine the best placement and number of APs to provide the best coverage and transmission rates for your specific location. In small installations of just a couple APs with limited bandwidth requirements we may be able to 'eye ball' a survey, but for anything larger a proper survey will greatly help increase performance while keeping your hardware costs to a minimum. Several things need to be taken into account in any network design beyond coverage. Number and type of users, data rates, overall network capacity and security need to be taken into account to provide the best Quality of Service (QoS). With a proper survey completed we can proceed to decide on the best hardware to create a capable and secure network that will best support your business needs.
Growth and prosperity depend on your ability to quickly adapt and respond to the rising expectations of your customers. Offer dynamic new services and empower workers to be more responsive to customers through access to real-time information wherever they are. With well designed wireless infrastructure in place your business will have the tools to succeed.
When putting together an effective and suitable wireless network there are a few key questions to answer:
• How many concurrent wireless users will you have?
• What type information will you be transmitting? Data, Voice, Video?
• How large is your facility? Do you need coverage throughout it?
• Have you done a site survey already?
• Do you have existing access points in place?
• Will you need coverage indoors or outdoors? Both?
• Will you have guest users on your network?
All wireless infrastructures consist of 3 main components:
• Site Survey - The first step in building wireless infrastructure is determining how many access points you'll need and their locations to best serve your facility. With a proper survey you can be sure that the most efficient network is created with optimal coverage.
• Access Points - These are the devices that transmit and receive data wirelessly on your network. The more access points you have the larger area you can cover and the stronger the coverage will be. Making sure you have the right type and number of access points is necessary for a robust network.
• Wireless Switches - A wireless switch allows you to manage multiple access points from a single location. If you are using more than 3-4 access points you will want a switch to easily manage security measures and efficient use of bandwidth on your network.
At BarcodesInc, we're Wireless Infrastructure specialists! We can help you configure a tracking solution no matter what your line of business or industry is. We'll deliver a complete system that fits the specific needs of your application and your budget. Our years of experience delivering complex solutions across industries mean that you'll get a comprehensive solution and a trouble-free implementation, guaranteed. Go ahead, give us a call!