Guide to Scientific Computing
There are many areas of study within the field of scientific computing. Examples of those areas include probability/statistics, cryptography, numerical analysis and algorithms. An abundance of information on these areas of study is available online.
- Department of Scientific Computing at Florida State University: The information collected by the members of this college department includes research and publications on the subject of scientific computing.
- National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center: Features the latest news and reports in the field of scientific computing.
- Department of Energy Scientific Computing: News, research progress and a general overview of the elements of study that go into advanced scientific computing.
- Scientific Computing Group: A list of projects related to the field of scientific computing is offered along with a detailed explanation of what the group is trying to achieve.
- Barcode Printers: Barcode printers, symbol scanners, and POS machines use the most recent scientific computing technology.
- Boston University Scientific Computing and Visualization: A university’s department of scientific computing offers information on the variety of ways to learn about scientific computing.
Probability and Statistics
- Probability and Statistics Demonstrations: A list of demonstrations that will explore some of the aspects of probability and statistics.
- Chance News Archive: A gathering of articles that deal with issues of statistics in the media.
- International Statistical Institute: Learn about the value and importance of statistics in our world.
- Statistical Reports Journal: Check out this online journal of statistics that works with the scientific community.
- American Statistical Association: An association that provides information on statistics in the form of news and journal articles.
- Center for Applied Cryptographic Research: Features study and research in the field of cryptography.
- Association for Computing Machinery: A collection of research papers on the subject of cryptography and other related issues.
- Computer Science Department of the University of California: A professor shares his writings and knowledge about cryptography.
- The Cryptology Group at the University of Aarhus: Read about a group’s projects and study in the field of cryptography.
- Origins of Cryptography: The history and origins of cryptography are explained.
- Numerical Analysis Modules: View a list of modules related to numerical analysis and numerical methods.
- The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: Read about the origins of scientific computing and numerical analysis.
- Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications Journal: Features a journal with articles that cover all aspects of numerical analysis.
- Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis: The information in this electronic journal offers the latest developments in scientific computing and numerical analysis.
- Journal on Numerical Analysis: A collection of research articles that explore the topic of numerical analysis and developments in this area of study.
- University of Minnesota Department of Mathematics: A gathering of information and research offered by a professor who studies numerical analysis.
- Applied and Industrial Mathematics International Journal: A journal featuring articles that deal with numerical analysis.
- University of Kansas Department of Mathematics: A professor of numerical analysis and scientific computing offers insight on his research and knowledge in these fields.
- European Society of Computational Methods Journal: Features volumes of writings by a variety of authors who have experience in the field of numerical analysis.
- Oxford University Numerical Analysis Group: Discover a collection of informative essays and papers offered by this numerical analysis professor.
- Research Laboratory of Electronics at MIT: Read about the work in a laboratory that relates to the relationship between algorithms and the handling of information.
- University of California at Irvine Computer Science Department: A professor’s knowledge of algorithms is shared through his collection of academic writings.
- A Library of Parallel Algorithms: A list of algorithms is offered in the area of scientific computing.
- University of Michigan Department of Computer Science: Features an informational guide on parallel algorithms.
- Scientific Discovery Through Advanced Computing: An explanation of scientific computation and algorithms.
Advances in the field of scientific computing affect our everyday lives. For instance, one goal in the study of cryptography is to learn how to keep our personal information completely safe whether we are dealing with an ATM or putting a card through a credit card reader. Discoveries and successes in the world of scientific computing are beneficial to society as a whole.